Today at Brock's well child check-up the Pediatrician informed me that the "tail is wagging the dog" because I still rock Brock to sleep and he has to be rocked in order to fall asleep. He told me at Brock's 6 month check-up that I needed to put Brock in bed awake and let him self soothe himself to sleep.....well I tried that very same night and after about 30 minutes of hysterically crying I picked him up and never tried again. Well, I got in trouble at the doc's office today because I told him that I didn't follow his advice. So, Joe and I decided that tonight was the night....we started at 8:50 and Brock put up a good valiant fight.....I put Brock down the first time and then I sent Joe in the rest of the times....Brock started by standing up and screaming at the door and then the next time Joe went in he was on his knees, then the next time he was sitting and he stayed that way until the last time Joe went in and he was on his hands and knees and then at 9:40......quiet. I'd like to say that the quiet made me feel better but it actually made me want to go in and hug him and let him know that I was still here. That was the hardest thing that I have done by far! I hear that it gets better after a couple of days....I hope so! Now, I just don't know what to do in the middle of the night when he wakes up....any suggestions????
Monday, July 7, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





15 comments:
I know is sounds mean, but we did the same thing your doctor asked you to do with all 3 of our kids. It took Ashlin 28 minutes the first time (I made Shawn do it and it was all I could do to not cry). It got better each night. Really you just need survive the first week. They all 3 were good sleepers in the crib. We left them in till morning. A couple of times they woke up and cried and we left them. We waited to do this till we knew they didn't need to eat or have any diapers changed at night. Good luck!
We missed seeing y'all on Sunday. Glad you had a fun fourth of July!
I have no suggestions for you because Baylee still screams for over an hour with us going in every 10 min. to check on her. Finally, I give in with her crying and me, and I rock her. So I will be asking you for suggestions.
Ella used to wake up in the middle of the night - and still does. When she was confined in a crib, I'd pick her up and rock her, pat her back and tell her to lay down and go back to sleep, or let her cry through it (depending on my level of sleepyness). Now, she just comes in and cuddles with us until she goes back to sleep. But the rocking worked. Plus, it was my special time with her since I didn't want to rock her to sleep at bedtime.
I am proud of you. its hard but well worth it.
Good Job!! Hard thing, we did it with ours as well. We were NOT good at it with Alex or Zachary and we are still paying for it, so keep it up. After they cry themselves to sleep they usually sleep much better during the night, but if he does wake up, just see what he needs, love him and put him back, before you know it, he will probably cry for shorter and shorter times. Well Looks like Buffie is not as lucky so can't promise you anything.. P.S. I LOVE your new background
I know it is heartbreaking! The first 3-4 days for me was awful...but after that both kids just accepted it. Kalyn would get up in the middle of the night. We were bad and let her snuggle us (she was only going to be a baby for so long). With Keali, we were so exhausted that we would hold, rock, kiss, and put her back into the bed when she looked sleepy again. Good luck, and don't be too hard on yourself. Good Mom's put their kids to bed!
send joe in! :)
I'm sorry, I'm from the old school. I rocked them until they didn't want to be rocked anymore. It usually stopped around 2 1/2. Mainly because I loke to rock and it never took more than 20 - 30 mins. if that long. I still rock Reagan and she is 16 months. But like I said it dosen't take long and she is out. I guess it would be different if they were in the 1st grade and I had to rock them to sleep but they out grew it long before that.
No matter where I go if there is a rocking chair, that's where I'm sitting. I remember my mama always had to run me out of my granmother's rocking chair. I guess it's in my blood.
I agree with the post above, Gigi. They only stay small for such a short period of time. I tried again yesterday not rocking Baylee and she cried for almost 2 hours. I would walk in every 10 min. to reasure her she was fine. Then I called my mom all upset thinking I am a bad mom for wanting to go in and rock her. My mom also is from the old school where she rocked her babies that liked to be rocked to sleep and we all turned out fine. I think its all up to each individual child and family how what you do with your child.
Ditto to Gigi's comments. I don't think there is anything wrong with a child falling asleep in the loving arms of his/her parents ... like I said on the phone ours is one of the few societies that encourage parents to push thier babies away in infancy ... Follow your Mom's example she did a great job raising you an Timmy! I will say this be consistant in whatever your final choice is ... If you're going to rock them to sleep then do it ... if you are going to put them in the crib and let them cry themselves to sleep(which I do believe will stop over time), then leave them there, going in after an hour and picking them up and rocking them to sleep defeats the purpose of what you are trying to do, because I believe it sends a message to the baby that if they keep it up long enough that you will come in.
Final word ... Your not a bad parent which ever method you use to put your child sleep.
You could always combine both. Rock him for 15 minutes and then lay him down. You get bonding time and a good sleeper!
I have been there before!!! Carter was our worst sleeper. I thought that he didn't need to go to sleep until we did at 10 or 11! Later we figured out with grant that he could go to bed at 7:30 and sleep all night ...by himself...not rocked and in his own room! Crazy how we all do the same things. Good luck. Love the pink background of your blog - Tiff
I am quite incensed that a doctor would order a mother to stop rocking a precious loved child to sleep??? I don't feel a "professional" should over step their authority into family decisions such as that.
I don't understand the reasoning there???
Every baby is unique, surely there are no chisled in stone laws on child raising. Every family is unique, also!!!
There is on thing that is so important and that is that both father and mother are active in raising their children - feeding, diapering, bathing, dressing, rocking and carrying. I detest seeing a family at Walmart or a resturant, or anywhere out in public, with the father out of the car and strutting ahead of the mother carrying a babe in arms and two hanging on her skirt tail. I am proud of Unk B and Sandy in the way they could and would tend to their babies from their birth to present.
@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
I reckon Gigi does love rocking! Being the first child, grandchild, great-grandchild, niece and grand-niece, she got much rocking and carrying. In fact it's a wonder she ever learned to walk with everyone rocking and toteing her. It's a wonder her lungs developed, because she was never permitted to cry before someone picked her up... At least for the first 14months of her life.
I guess t'was good that # 2,3,4 & 5 babies came quickly - all before she was 6 years old.
I am quite incensed that a doctor would order a mother to stop rocking a precious loved child to sleep??? I don't feel a "professional" should over step their authority into family decisions such as that.
I don't understand the reasoning there???
Every baby is unique, surely there are no chisled in stone laws on child raising. Every family is unique, also!!!
There is on thing that is so important and that is that both father and mother are active in raising their children - feeding, diapering, bathing, dressing, rocking and carrying. I detest seeing a family at Walmart or a resturant, or anywhere out in public, with the father out of the car and strutting ahead of the mother carrying a babe in arms and two hanging on her skirt tail. I am proud of Unk B and Sandy in the way they could and would tend to their babies from their birth to present.
@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
I reckon Gigi does love rocking! Being the first child, grandchild, great-grandchild, niece and grand-niece, she got much rocking and carrying. In fact it's a wonder she ever learned to walk with everyone rocking and toteing her. It's a wonder her lungs developed, because she was never permitted to cry before someone picked her up... At least for the first 14months of her life.
I guess t'was good that # 2,3,4 & 5 babies came quickly - all before she was 6 years old.
Now how did that happen?
Usually I can't get one reply to take on the first try much less two?
Maybe cause I didn't sign off - huh?
Bunches of hugs, love and prayers, aint j
Post a Comment