Friday, August 21, 2009

Our Scary Incident!

Yesterday started out like any normal day. I had some chores on my list of things to get done and the first on the list was to use this nasty stuff to unclog the sink in my bathroom. I poured this potent stuff down the drain and in the process got it on my hands. I washed my hands about three times to finally get the soapy, stinging residue off of my hands, put the lid on the drain opener stuff, and started to walk out of the bathroom to return this stuff to the top shelf of the laundry room out of reach of little fingers, but as I was reading the back label it stated to repeat after one hour so, I just set it on the counter in the bathroom and went out to the living room where Brock and his friend Neely were playing.
We decided to make some cookies and in the process I forgot all about the clogged drain. About an hour or so later I was in the laundry room and I thought that Brock was in the living room playing with Neely when all of a sudden I hear this blood curdling scream and I immediately thought that Brock pinched his finger in this new toy he has or something like that and he came running to me and in the hallway I saw the drain cleaner and I instantly knew what happened! I panicked! I went straight to the computer and googled poison control while Brock is screaming and crying. The man on the phone told me not to worry and I'm thinking "okay buddy whatever!" He told me to just have Brock drink some milk and everything should be okay, then before I hung up he asked me if he had any physical signs from the drano and I said "Uh, Yeah his lips are double the size that they should be and he's got a huge rash all over his chin and neck!" The guy then told me to go straight to the ER, and then I really flipped out!!
I ran out to the car to put Brock in his seat and then I realized that I didn't even have any shoes on. So, I ran back in and grabbed mine and Brock's shoes and then we took off to the ER, with Grandma Colleen in tow(she works 1/2 mile down the road). We got to the ER and the admitting nurse was more than happy to make me feel worse than I already did for leaving the drano where Brock could get to it. Thanks a lot lady......
They got us in pretty quickly to see the doctor and when the nurse came in to check Brock's vitals he was running around the room and playing "peek-a-boo" in the curtains, so she decided that his vitals were doing just fine! After three hours of waiting they decided that he just poured the stuff in his mouth and then spit it right back out, because only the tip of his tongue, lips, and chin were blistered and not the rest of his mouth. Thank goodness! I was scared to see what they were going to make him do if they thought that he had swallowed the dang stuff!
It was a very scary morning and I have learned a very valuable lesson. I felt so guilty for leaving that stuff out where he could get to it!

You can't really tell in this picture but his little lips are still swollen up and he's got bloody cracked lips and a blister on the side of his mouth and on his little neck......bless his heart! I just thank my Heavenly Father sincerely that nothing worse happened to my precious little man, I just don't know what I would do without him in my life!

10 comments:

Candice said...

Oh my goodness, I'm soo glad he's ok! Wow, that's amazing that he knew to spit it out and not swallow. Hope he'll heal up those blisters quick!

Anonymous said...

I'm glad Brock is doing ok. By the way I like the new name for baby peanut. Her being named by Joe will be even more special when she becomes Daddy's Little Girl.

Love
Krissy

Sarah F. said...

What a scary experience!! I am so sorry you had to go through that and so glad that Brock is okay. And don't feel too guilty, we all do dumb things!

Britney said...

oh wow! that is so scary! i'm glad it turned out ok. don't feel bad! it could happen to anyone.

Unknown said...

I'm glad he's okay. How does that stuff not eat through the container!?

Amy and Jacob said...

Girl that is insane! I'm glad he's okay! I'm sure he spit it out because it didn't taste very good! Smart kid! :-)

Kami said...

You are a good mom. You took care of him. We all make mistakes but it turned out ok. Something similar happened to me. I was in Germany. Blake got into rubbing alcohol drank it and got it in his eye. I had to go to the German hospital. It was awful. They called the military police and the next day, I had social services calling me. Tony was deployed and they wanted to know if I was depressed and not taking care of my son...No I was fine he was fine. I just made a mistake and left it out where he could get into it. Live and learn.

Camille said...

Oh, I'm so glad he's okay! What a blessing! I'm annoyed that the nurse made you feel even worse. Accidents happen. We do try to prevent them all, but we can't.
When I saw your pic of his swollen little lips, I just kept thinking that he is such a gorgeous boy! His big eyes and sweet little face. So adorable!!! And congratulations on having a girl! So excited for you!

Ingrid said...

Okay, it's me Ingrid, not Camille. I am on her Mac, and didn't realize I was logged in as her. Whoops!

Amy said...

poor baby...dont beat yourself up too much Jen, accidents happen. My kate swallowed some advil I had left on the counter when she was about Brocks age. I was really mortified..poison control was really of no help. I just felt worse...